Former Hillel students are pictured enjoying Yiddishe Cup together in-person.
It’s finally time to polish up your putt-putt skills for Hillels of Memphis’ 14th Annual Yiddishe Cup Mini-Golf Tournament! A fixture on the Memphis Jewish calendar for over a decade, the fun, community-wide event for Memphians of all ages returns in-person on Sunday, April 10 at 2 P.M. at Golf & Games.
After the pandemic forced the cancellation of the tournament in 2020 and transitioned Yiddishe Cup into an online trivia contest in 2021, everyone is excited about returning to the in-person mini-golf format. “I originally got involved with Hillels of Memphis because I wanted to be a part of a community that I knew would welcome me, and I also desired close bonds with good people – both of which are hard to come by during a pandemic. Hillel surpassed all my expectations and I try and get involved whenever I can,” said student President of University of Memphis’ Hillel, Aaron Bardos. “Supporting and being in Hillel is awesome! Every event is fun and the food is great. Most importantly, the people and conversations are amazing. I found that the Yiddishe Cup last year was very fun, and I think creating more online activities like that in the future is a great idea, but the in-person Cup is unbeatable. In-person interactions (and mini-golf) are just so important to me, and I am glad to see it returning.”
At Yiddishe Cup, both mini-golf devotees and amateurs will have their turn on the green while competing for the highly coveted first-place finish. Anyone can form a team of four for $36, and sponsorship opportunities begin at $118. Teams will have the opportunity to win special prizes for a hole-in-one and other categories.
“Year after year, Yiddishe Cup has served as the primary fundraiser for Hillels of Memphis,” said Sophie Bloch, the Director of Hillels of Memphis. “Funds raised from Yiddishe Cup directly support vital and impactful programming like Shabbat and holiday celebrations, Israel programming and interfaith events at University of Memphis and Rhodes College. Without this critical funding, many of Hillel’s programs could no longer happen. Last year, we raised $18,000 which is the largest amount to date, and I’m confident that we can meet – if not exceed – that number this year!”
Hillels of Memphis boasts an active and engaged lay advisory council, whose members appreciate the significance of Hillel on college campus. “Hillel is so important because it provides young people with a place to share, learn, and grow as their Jewish identity continues to develop during the formative years of the college experience,” said Hal Fogelman, co-chair of University of Memphis’ Hillel Advisory Council. “The Yiddishe Cup event is a lot of fun, and it’s always great to see young people come together, develop friendships, and participate in various Jewish celebrations and activities.”
For Rhodes and University of Memphis students, Hillels of Memphis serves as a Jewish home away from home. All proceeds from the event benefit students on both campuses through educational programming, social events, Shabbat meals, communal programming, and events throughout the year. While 85% of the budget of Hillels of Memphis is funded through a generous endowment, the remaining 15% comes primarily from funds raised through Yiddishe Cup.
The event will take place rain or shine with indoor activities at the facility, located at 5484 Summer Avenue. Masks will be required should rain necessitate moving indoors. Registration, sponsorships, and detailed information about the event may be found at hillelsofmemphis.org/yiddishecup. You may also contact Hillels of Memphis Director Sophie Bloch at (901)-452-2453 or email email@example.com.