It’s finally time to polish up on your putt-putt skills for Hillels of Memphis 15th Annual Yiddishe Cup Mini- Golf Tournament! A fixture on the Memphis Jewish calendar for over a decade, the fun, community-wide event for Memphians of all ages returns in-person on Sunday, April 23rd at 2 PM at Golf & Games.
The mini-golf format of the tournament makes this event accessible to people of all ages and all levels of golf experience – which emulates the role Hillel plays on campus as an inclusive and inviting community. “Hillel at Rhodes has allowed me to feel and learn about my Jewish identity and has enabled it to flourish. Through Rhodes Hillel, I have been given numerous opportunities to experiment with my role in my community, my culture, and my religion allowing me to grow as a young Jewish adult” said student President of Rhodes College Hillel, Samuel Cross.
Student President of University of Memphis Hillel, Aaron Bardos, adds: “Supporting and being in Hillel is amazing! Every event is fun, the food is great, and most importantly the people and conversations are amazing. I found that the Yiddishe Cup last year was an amazing way to bring people together around our common love of Hillel.”
At Yiddishe Cup, both mini-golf devotees and amateurs will have their turn on the green while competing for the highly coveted first-place finish. Anyone can form a team of four for $36 and sponsorship opportunities begin at $118. Teams will have the opportunity to win special prizes for a hole-in-one and other categories.
“Year after year, Yiddishe Cup has served as the primary fundraiser for Hillels of Memphis, a program of Memphis Jewish Federation,” said Sophie Bloch, the Director of Hillels of Memphis. “Funds raised from Yiddishe Cup directly support vital and impactful programming like Shabbat and holiday celebrations, Israel programming and interfaith events at University of Memphis and Rhodes College. Without this critical funding, many of Hillel’s programs could no longer happen. Last year we raised $18k which is the largest amount to date, and I’m confident that we can meet – if not exceed – that number this year!”
Hillels of Memphis boasts an active and engaged lay advisory council whose members appreciate the significance of Hillel on college campus. “Hillel is so important because it provides young people with a place to share, learn, and grow as their Jewish identity continues to develop during the formative years of the college experience,” said Hal Fogelman, co-chair of University of Memphis’ Hillel Advisory Council. “The Yiddishe Cup event is a lot of fun, and it’s always great to see young people come together, develop friendships, and participate in various Jewish celebrations and activities.” This year’s event is co-chaired by Audrey Siskind and Bradley Karasik, both of whom are champions of the Hillel cause and parents of children who have been involved at Hillel at their respective schools.
For Rhodes College and University of Memphis students, Hillels of Memphis serves as a Jewish home away from home. All proceeds from the event benefit students on both campuses through educational programming, social events, Shabbat meals and communal programming and events throughout the year. While 85% of the budget of Hillels of Memphis is funded through a generous endowment, the remaining 15% comes primarily from funds raised through Yiddishe Cup. The event will take place rain or shine with indoor activities at the facility, located at 5484 Summer Avenue, available. Registration, sponsorships, and detailed information about the event may be found at www.hillelsofmemphis.org/yiddishecup. You may also contact Hillels of Memphis Director Sophie Bloch at 901.452.2453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.